“We are passionate about increasing the diversity of members and shows. Think about how having access to the arts has changed you and imagine what a difference this will make for someone.”
Lamesha Ruddock – DST President 2021/22
At Durham University we believe in creating an environment in which academic excellence can be combined with opportunities for personal development. This scholarship aims to increase the diversity of voices in theatre at Durham University and to promote theatre to underrepresented voices. One of the most important ways our students further their personal development is by taking part in the wide range of extra-curricular activities on offer here.
Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate an exceptional level of passion for theatre and theatre making. Applicants will also be required to play an active part in Durham University’s performing communities.
The scholarship is open to individuals who are currently under-represented within creative industries. Your are elegible for this scholarship if:
- you are Black, or Mixed Black ethnicity, Asian ethnicity or those from a minority ethnic background as described by the relevant body at that time, for example, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). This will be ascertained through the assessment of data made available to the University through the application process; and
- your official fee status is a Home student; and
- your household income has been assessed by Student Finance England (SFE) (or equivalent) as below £42,875 at the start of the 2021/22 academic year; and
- You have submitted an application to Durham University.
How to apply
Submit an online scholarship application by 27th April 2022 at 18:00 which includes the following:
- A Personal Statement (500 words) explaining why you should be awarded the Spotlight Scholarship.
- A maximum 7-page A4 portfolio or Youtube link to a 5-minute video demonstrating your experience. If there are multiple individuals in the video, please clearly state your role. If you are providing a portfolio, please forward this electronically to [email protected]
- A reference of no more than 500 words from a suitable adult e.g., the director of a production in which you have been involved; a mentor in your chosen discipline; a drama teacher at your school.
Applications are accepted from 7th February 2022.
The application deadline is 27th April 2022 at 18:00.
Candidates will hear the outcome of their application by 31st May.