You’ve made a great decision to come to Durham. The next great decision to make is joining Durham Student Theatre: a fantastic, exciting, lively and successful community of 600 students who love the performing arts. Joining DST gives you access to one of the most vibrant theatre scenes of any university in the country. We have over 20 affiliated theatre companies and nearly sixty shows annually appear on our listings.
From Shakespeare to Sondheim, and Pinter to Porter there’s something for everyone. Becoming a member of DST is the first step to becoming a part of that scene, be it treading the boards, writing the story, directing the action, working backstage, rigging the lights, making the costumes, designing the sound or simply enjoying the show. We manage our own 220-seat proscenium theatre, the Assembly Rooms, and run a massive programme of exciting events throughout the year.
From what I have heard from students at other universities, Durham Student Theatre is entirely unique. The theatre is almost entirely student run providing a wealth of diversity in performance and a huge breadth of opportunities.Charlie Keable
Joining DST is the first step to getting involved in theatre in Durham. Membership entitles you to:
- Discount on every single production at the University
- Access to workshops led by industry professionals
- Weekly updates on the latest auditions and performances
- Some of the best socials Durham has to offer
- Trips to professional theatres across the North East
- The opportunity to work in the Assembly Rooms theatre
- The chance to be a part of the Durham Drama Festival
Without joining DST, you won’t find out about auditions or be allowed to perform in the University’s theatre – if you want to get involved in drama while at university joining DST is the place to start.
Membership of DST is great value at just £10 per year, or £25 for life.
Online payment is managed by Oscar our booking system. Oscar accepts all major credit and debit cards, you will be taken to their secure website to pay for your membership. DST does not process or have access to any payment details.
How to join?
Joining is simple! Follow the link here which will take you over an online payment page
Either that or you can purchase DST membership before any show at the Assembly Rooms Theatre box office. Easy as that!
There are many scholarships available for actors, directors, producers and technicians across the University. Some are administered pre-arrival and some for personal development. Many colleges also offer individual scholarships for theatre achievement, especially with successes representing Durham nationally and internationally through touring work.
Prospective Student Scholarships
Vice Chancellor Scholarships
The University welcomes scholarship applications from all areas of the arts, be that acting, musical theatre, directing, producing, design, technicians, stage-management and creative writing.
Remit: Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate an exceptional level of excellence in theatre; for example, participation in theatre events at a national or international level. Applicants will also be required to be an active part in Durham University’s theatre and performing communities.
Amount: £2000 per year
Application dates: Applications open from October to January during the UCAS application season.
Application:Stage 1: submit an academic application to Durham University via UCAS
Stage 2: submit an online scholarship application form including the following:
- Personal Statement of no more than 1,000 words explaining why you should be awarded a Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for the Arts.
- A reference of no more than 1,000 words from a suitable adult, for example a teacher at your school, the director of a production in which you have been involved, explaining why you are suitable to be awarded a Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for the arts, sent directly from the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that your referee submits the reference on letter headed paper which contains their name, position, contact details and your full name.
For more information and to apply go here.
Current Student Scholarships
Durham University Arts Management Group (DUMAG)
Level of Study: Undergraduate
Mode of study: Full time & Part time
Year of Entry: Current students in the academic year 2017/18
Programmes: All programmes
- Funding will be provided for personal developement rather than career or academic development.
- If you received support for an earlier event or production you must have submitted your final accounts before an additional application can be considered.
- Due to funding restrictions the Arts Management Group are unable to approve applications for consumable items.
- Retrospective applications will not normally be considered i.e. activities which are scheduled to take place before each terms outcome notification date.
For more information go here.