You’ve made a great decision to come to Durham. The next great decision to make is joining Durham Student Theatre: one of the most vibrant and successful theatre scenes of any university in the country. If you want to get involved in theatre while at university joining DST is the place to start.
How to join?
Joining is simple! Follow the link here towards an online payment page. Please sign in using your Durham e-mail account. You can also purchase DST membership before any show at The Assembly Rooms Theatre box office. Easy as that! Any questions, e-mail email@example.com
Membership of DST is great value at just £10 per year, or £25 for life.
Online payment is managed by Oscar our booking system. Oscar accepts all major credit and debit cards, you will be taken to their secure website to pay for your membership. DST does not process or have access to any payment details.
Want to get stuck in? Look at the opportunities below!
From plays and musicals, to opera and spoken word and more, there are plenty of ways to get involved as a performer. Most weeks there are at least one or two auditions taking place, which demand no previous experience.
As well as opportunities for budding directors, there are plenty of opportunities for musical directors and choreographers.
Producing and Backstage
Producing is a fantastic way to get involved with productions from start to finish. From costume design to marketing, the opportunities are endless!
DST Technical looks after all those in the society interested in rigging lights, creating sounds, moving set and more!
From new writing showcases to full length original plays and musicals, DST is very passionate about new writing!
Durham Student Theatre is excited to offer film opportunities for both budding screen actors and camera technicians.
Outreach and Volunteering
Our outreach opportunities include teaching theatre and engaging with young and old through the arts locally and abroad.
There are many scholarships available for actors, directors, producers and technicians across the University. Some are administered pre-arrival and some for personal development. Many colleges also offer individual scholarships for theatre achievement, especially with successes representing Durham nationally and internationally through touring work.
Prospective Student Scholarships
Vice Chancellor Scholarships
The University welcomes scholarship applications from all areas of the arts, be that acting, musical theatre, directing, producing, design, technicians, stage-management and creative writing.
Remit: Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate an exceptional level of excellence in theatre; for example, participation in theatre events at a national or international level. Applicants will also be required to be an active part in Durham University’s theatre and performing communities.
Amount: £2000 per year
Application Dates: Applications open from October to January during the UCAS application season.
Stage 1: Submit an academic application to Durham University via UCAS
Stage 2: Submit an online scholarship application form including the following:
- Personal Statement of no more than 1,000 words explaining why you should be awarded a scholarship.
- A reference of no more than 1,000 words from a suitable adult, for example a teacher at your school, the director of a production in which you have been involved, explaining why you are suitable to be awarded a scholarship, sent directly from the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that your referee submits the reference on letter headed paper which contains their name, position, contact details and your full name.
For more information and to apply go here.
Current Student Scholarships
Durham University Arts Management Group (DUMAG)
Year of Study: Undergraduate
Mode of Study: Full-time & Part-time
Programme: All Programmes
- Funding will be provided for personal developement rather than career or academic development.
- If you received support for an earlier event or production you must have submitted your final accounts before an additional application can be considered.
- Due to funding restrictions the Arts Management Group are unable to approve applications for consumable items.
- Retrospective applications will not normally be considered i.e. activities which are scheduled to take place before each terms outcome notification date.
For more information go here.